By Subhash K Jha
1. This is Salman Khan’s first release in 16 months. Need anything more be said? The audience is one collective bhookha sher.
2. Sohail Khan returns to direction after 12 years. He last directed Maine Dil Tujhko Diya which introduced Sameera Reddy who, incidentally, gor married recently.
3. For the first time, Salman plays a social crusader with a bleeding conscience who can’t watch the poor and the under-privileged being ill-treated.
4. The film is a remake of the Telugu blockbuster Stalin which starred Chiranjeevi. Salman is very close to Chiranjeevi and his son Ramcharan Teja.Jai Ho is being screened for the father-son duo.
5. Tabu who plays Salman’s sister has been in two other films with Salman….Biwi No 1 and Jeet. But she has never been paired with Salman as a romantic lead.
6. The title Jai Ho was suggested by Salman and Sohail’s father Salim Khan, as Salman’s name in the film is Jai Agnihotri (how clever!). The surname is taken from Salman’s brother-in-law Atul Agnihotri.
7. The leading lady Daisy Shah has no experience in acting. Apparently, her only qualification to do the role is her proficiency in the Gujarati language. Dhokla, anyone?
8. Two of the actors in the huge cast of Jai Ho are Salman’s discovery from Bigg Boss. They are Santosh Shukla and Sana Khan.
9. Nadira Babbar, who plays Salman’s mother, kept urging Salman to get married quickly.
10. The inspiration for the film’s sprawling family cast is Sooraj Barjatya.