By Subhash K Jha
Not too many people know this. But Pran has a hugely impressive body of songs associated with his characters on screen. Here’s looking at Pran’s chart-busters:
1. Kasme vaade pyar wafa: Upkar (sung by Manna Dey)
2. Jeena toh hai usski jissne yeh raaz jaana hai kaam aadmi ka auron ke kaam aana: Adhikar. This evergreen qawaali sung by Mohd Rafi and filmed on Pran embodies Pran Saab’s real-life philosophy.
3. Yaari hai imaan mera: Zanjeer. When Manna Dey sang for a second time for Pran after Upkar it had to be something special. This Qawwalli was a bigger hit than the other Kalyanji-Ananji chartbusters in Zanjeer.
4. Raaz ki baat kehn doon toh: Dharm. The qawwali sung by Asha Bhosle and Mohd Rafi and filmed on Bindu and Pran dragged this potboiler to a blockbuster level.
5. Hum bolega toh bologe ki bolta hai: Kasauti: The film again got its boxoffice clout solely from this Kishore Kumar song filmed on Pran.
6. Phir na kehna Michael daroo peekey danga karta hai: Majboor. A Goan tune composed by Laxmikant-Pyarelal and sung with gusto by Kishore Kumar. Interestingly Kishoreda also sang for the Big B in Majboor.
7. Do bechare bina sahaare: Victoria 203. The song was a rage.Interestingly Mahendra Kapoor sang for Pran while Kishore Kumar crooned for his brother Ashok Kumar.