NEW YORK: Allaying concerns over any Indian being injured in the twin blasts at the Boston Marathon on Monday, the Indian authorities have said there has been no report of any Indian being injured in the explosions which killed three people and injured more than 140 people.
There are a large number of Indians, including students in the Boston area.
In a statement in Delhi, the authorities said, “Although no reports have as yet been received of injuries caused to Indian nationals as a result of this despicable act, our Embassy in Washington DC and our Consulate General in New York have been placed on alert. Indian nationals with concerns to report may do so at the Embassy’s emergency number (001) 202 939 7000.’’
Both President Pranab Mukherjee and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh condemned the bombings, with Mr Singh writing a letter to President OBama to express India’s sympathies with the blast victims.
The government statement said, “The solidarity and sympathy of the people of India have been expressed by India’s leadership, including in a letter of condolence sent by the Prime Minister to the President of the United States of America earlier this morning.’’