By Subhash K Jha
A number of showbiz hopefuls suddenly swept into the area of mass appeal in 2013. Here’s listing the Top Ten entertainers to make a sudden impact
1. Kapil Sharma: After struggling for years , strutting his satirical stuff on stage as a stand-up comedian and anchor , Kapil suddenly came into his own with his show Comedy Nights With Kapil. Suddenly he is a ‘farce’ to reckon with. His humour freed of filth Kapil appeals to every section of the entertainment-seeking junta. Forbes featured him among the 40 richest Indiana of the year. Good show.
2. Sushant Singh Rajput: He was hot on television, who would have thought he would be the first crossover star from the home to the mass medium? Cracking open the breach between television and cinema Sushant became an overnight celluloid rage with Kai Po Che. By the end of the year he was spoilt for choices. And yes, the mandatory fall-out with his mentor Abhishek Kapoor happened. A sure sign he had arrived.
3. Shraddha Kapoor: With 3 thundering flops behind her Shakti Kapoor’s beti had nothing to lose when she gave her all to Aashiqui 2. Playing a wannabe Lata Mangeshkar Shraddha melted hearts even as she hotted up the charts. By year-end she was working with the likes of Shahid Kapoor and Vishal Bhardwaj. We like.
4. Yo Yo Honey Singh: If so many people hated his songs, how did he became chartbuster in Bollywood?! Within a year his songs were being solicited by movie producers with frenetic urgency. Yo Yo’s Lungi dance in Chennai Express with Shah Rukh Khan proved a big USP of the film. Not since Alisha Chiani aeons ago has a singer made such an impact from outside movie soundtracks.
5.Aditya Roy Kapoor: He got to do dream roles in Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Guzaarish and Vipul Shah’s Action Replay. He even played a rock star in London Dreams. To no avail. Suddenly in 2013 stardom struck the Roy boy full force after Aashiqui 2. As a musician whose career was on the skids Aditya’s alcoholic act was the best tipsy tease since the Big B’s Sharaabi and SRK’s Devdas. Like Devdas Aditya drove himself to death in Aashiqui. Instant immortality was thereby ensured.
6. Vidyut Jamwal: Not since Fearless Nadia and Dara Singh did a action hero make such a lethal impact. Vidyut’s mastery of the martial arts in Commando made him the darling of the masses. Strangely he wasn’t seen signing too many films.
7. Arjit Singh: In an era when singers make minmal impact and songs are quickly forgotten Arjit Singh’s Dilli wali girlfriend in Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani and Yeh lal ishq in Ram Leela had people asking,who is that galaa?
8. Raj Kumar Yadav: Arthouse cinema got a fabulous fillip with the naturalistic performance by this startling actor in Hansal Mehta’s Shahid. Earlier during the year , many opined Yadav was better than Sushan Singh Rajput in Kai Po Che.And to think just a year back Yadav was struggling with cheesiness in Ragini MMS!
9. Neeraj Kabi: Veteran acting coach and actor Neeraj Kabi , for years an exceptional actor finally got noticed in Anand Gandhi’s Ship Of Theseus as a monk who takes on pharmaceutical giants for using animals in medical experiments. For the performance Neeraj redefined the whole process of method acting . Seriously extraordinary impact.
10. Saqib Salim: Mainstream Hindi cinema’s first unabashedly gay hero, Saqib took a bold step into the area of the gay and the grey in Bombay Talkies and even planted a kiss on Randeep Hooda’s lips. For a newcomer that was a super-bold move.