(Video courtesy Tran Vu)
China has just carried out a trial run of of the world’s first Transit Elevated Bus – called straddling bus – in Hebei province. India, which is building metro network to ease traffic in its big cities, needs straddling buses that China has built. The bus runs on elevated rails above the road and allows cars to pass under it. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has reportedly has asked for exploring the possibility of introducing such buses to deal with congestion in Indian cities.
Here are the major benefits of straddling buses:
- These buses ply over the usual traffic at a height of 2.2 metres, leaving cars to run under it.
- The straddling buses are much easier to build and maintain than metro rail network.
- Each bus replaces 40 conventional buses.
- It can carry up to 1,400 passengers who board the bus from elevators.
- The straddling bus will save up to 800 tons of fuel yearly.
- Each bus will prevent 2,800 tons of carbon emissions yearly.