News East West
NEW DELHI: Angry former followers of Asaram Bapu gave vent to their ire against the godman – who faces allegations of sexual exploitation – by setting on fire his ashram at Pariya village in Gujarat’s Valsad district on Monday.
Police said a portion of the ashram was burnt. The ashram was built on the land provided by the villagers to the godman out of reverence.
But after the godman’s arrest on charges of sexually molesting a 16-year-old girl and more women followers coming out with allegations of sexual assaults against them, the angry villagers say they no longer respect Asaram Bapu.
A similar incident had happened earlier this month when Asaram Bapu’s ashram near Jaipur in Rajasthan was attacked by villagers who were angry over the godman’s alleged misdeeds.
While Asaram has been in jail since September 2, his son Narayan Sai has been on the run since two sisters from Surat in Gujarat filed an FIR, alleging their sexual exploitation by the godman and his son over the years when they stayed at their ashrams in Surat and Ahmedabad.
Both the sisters are married now.
According to their FIR, the elder sister says she was sexually exploited by Asaram Bapu between 1997 and 2006 at his Ahmedabad ashram. The younger sister says she was sexually exploited by the godman’s son Narayan Sai between 2002 and 2005 at their Surat ashram.
Narayan Sai has been on the run since the FIR was filed even as police have been raiding places across many states to nab him.
- Godman Asaram Bapu used to read Kamasutra, reveals former disciple
- Godman Asaram Bapu asked my daughter to remove her clothes and then raped, says father of victim
- What happened when Asaram Bapu took minor girl into his `dhyan ki kutiya’
- Godman Asaram Bapu’s secret world
- Godman Asaram Bapu is a sex maniac who needs a new girl every day, says former aide
- Godman Asaram Bapu made his devotees impotent with herbal drinks in order to sell his medicines, says former disciple
- Secret cellar for female rituals found at ashram run by Asaram Bapu’s son
- Godman Asaram Bapu’s son changes appearance to avoid arrest