News East West
NEW DELHI: Indian godman Asaram Bapu was taken to Ahmedabad from Jodhpur Central Jail and questioned in connection with the rape case filed by two sisters against the godman and his son Narayan Sai last week.
Two sisters from Surat filed the rape case against the 72-year-old godman and his son for allegedly raping them repeatedly over the years when they worked in the godman’s Surat and Ahmedabad ashrams.
The elder sister has alleged that she was raped by the godman himself from 1997 and 2006 when she was living in his Ahmedabad ashram.
The younger sister has alleged that she was repeatedly raped by Narayan Sai between 2002 and 2006 when she was living in the godman’s Surat ashram.
The district and sessions court in Jodhpur gave permission to Gujarat Police to take the godman to Ahmedabad on Friday itself. But Gujarat Police wanted to make certain that there would not be any trouble by the godman’s followers once he is taken to Ahmedabad.
Also, the police wanted to build a strong case against him by gathering evidence against him as the alleged rape by him took place almost a decade ago.
The 72-year-old godman, who runs a multi-million empire comprising ashrams across India and medicine units, has been in a big trouble after he allegedly raped a 16-year-old girl at his ashram near Jodhpur in August on the pretext of curing her of evil spirits.
His son Narayan Sai has also been accused of sexually molesting women.
Though the godman was arrested on September 2 in connection with the rape of the 16-year-old girl, his son remains untraced.
- Godman Asaram Bapu used to read Kamasutra, reveals former disciple
- Godman Asaram Bapu asked my daughter to remove her clothes and then raped, says father of victim
- What happened when Asaram Bapu took minor girl into his `dhyan ki kutiya’
- Godman Asaram Bapu is a sex maniac who needs a new girl every day, says former aide
- Godman Asaram Bapu made his devotees impotent with herbal drinks in order to sell his medicines, says former disciple