News East West
NEW DELHI: Godman Asaram Bapu was on Wednesday charged with rape of a minor and her wrongful confinement by a court in Jodhpur where he is lodged in Central Jail after his arrest on September 2.
The district and sessions court also extended the judicial remand of Asaram Bapu and four co-accused — Shilpi, Sharad Chandra and Prakash – till Nov 16.
The godman had allegedly sexually molested the 16-year-old girl at his Manai ashram near Jodhpur on August 15 and he was arrested on September 1 from Indore.
In the 1,011-page charge sheet, the godman and the four co-accused have been charged under Sections 342 (wrongful confinement), 376(2) (f) (rape of minor girl), 376 D (rape), 354-A (outraging the modesty of a woman), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 109 (abetment to an offence) of the Indian Penal Code.
Since the girl is a minor, police have also slapped Sections of the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act and the Protection of Children from Sexual Act against the accused.
If found guilty, Asaram and the co-accused could be sentenced from 10 years to life term.
As he emerged out of the court, Asaram Bapu called the chargesheet fabrication.
With the chargesheet filed in the case after more than two months, the godman can now apply for bail even as he and his son Narayan Sai face another case of alleged rape filed last month by two sisters from Surat.
- Godman Asaram Bapu used to read Kamasutra, alleges former disciple
- Godman Asaram Bapu asked my daughter to remove her clothes and then raped, says father of victim
- What happened when Asaram Bapu took minor girl into his `dhyan ki kutiya’
- Godman Asaram Bapu is a sex maniac who needs a new girl every day, alleges former aide
- Godman Asaram Bapu made his devotees impotent with herbal drinks in order to sell his medicines, alleges former disciple
- Secret cellar for female rituals found at ashram run by Asaram Bapu’s son
- Godman Asaram Bapu’s son changes appearance to avoid arrest
- Godman Asaram Bapu’s ashram burnt by angry followers in Gujarat