News East West
NEW YORK: South Korean electronics giant Samsung unveiled its new flagship smartphone Galaxy 5S on Monday to fend off challenge from Apple’s iPhone.
Here are the facts about the Galaxy S5 unveiled at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona:
- As expected, the S5 feature fingerprint-reading technology as in the iPhone 5s. Its fingerprint scanner allows users to unlock it with the swipe of finger at the bottom of the display. This enhanced security features does away with the four-digit code.
- It features a heart-rate sensor which gets activated by putting finger on the flash and ANT+ compatibility for fitness accessories.
- The Galaxy S5 has a larger display of 5.1 inches, as against the 5-inch of the S4. However, its resolution remains same at 1920×1080. Which is much less than the rumoured 2560×1440.
- With 20 percent more battery battery life than the S4, the Galaxy S5 allows up to 12 hours of video playback and 10 hours of web browsing. Its energy saver mode minimizes energy consumption and the number of opened apps.
- It features a new 802.11ac MIMO WiFi antenna allowing users to download files three times faster than the S4. Files can also downloaded simultaneously by Wi-Fi and LTE connections through a new feature.
- It has a 16-MP hybrid autofocus camera. New features allow users to blur the background of photos to create a bokeh which only professional DSLRs can create. It also has a 2.1-MP front camera.
- This IP67 certified device can withstand 30 minutes at the bottom of a meter-deep water.
- It is run by Qualcoom 2.5-GHz quad-core processor and features Android 4.4.
- Interface has been spruced up, with buttons and apps now becoming a lot easier to operate.
- Measuring 142.0 x 72.5 x 8.1mm, the S5 weighs 145g and offers 2GB RAM and 16GB storage.
- Its back has a leather feel.
- To be available from April 11 in over 150 countries, the S5 will come in black, white, blue or gold.