By Subhash K Jha
1. The protagonist Vijay Khanna as played by Amitabh Bachchan in the original Zanjeer was so angry with the failure of the socio-political system he could barely speak about normal mundane things and could not even express his love for the street-smart girl Jaya Bhaduri. In the Zanjeer remake Ramcharan Teja is a smooth talker and a dexterous lover.
2. In the original Zanjeer there was not even a hint of physical intimacy between the Big B and Jaya. In the new Zanjeer Ramcharan and PC go to bed together. And there’s no snoring.
3. Biggest difference is in the female protagonist’s character. Jaya Bhaduri in original Zanjeer was a chakku-churi waali who eked out living sharpening knives. Priyanka plays a sophisticated NRI who witnesses a murder and gets upclose and puh-rrrrrrrr-sonal(that’s Priyanka’s new US-returned pronunciation) with the cop-hero
4. The original cop-hero did not even dream of singing and dancing.In the original script writers Salim-Javed were so particular about not allowing the angry cop to get out of character that a romantic song was filmed on a pair of street performances as the Big B and Jaya stared down from the window at the street below. In the new Zanjeer the angry cop breaks out into a jig in the Tamil version of Zanjeer because he’s played by Ramcharan Teja and his Telugu fans expect him to dance.
5. In the original Zanjeer the cop-hero remembers the villain by a chain around his wrist, hence the title Zanjeer.In the new Zanjeer the chain is replaced by a tattoo on the villain’s arm. So why the f..k is this Zanjeer called Zanjeer.Why not Tattoo?
6. Bindu played the villain’s Mona Darling as a slit-skirted gyrating floozy. Mahie Gill’s Mona will be shown indulging in much more horizontal activities the the new-millennium Teja, Prakash Raj. And yes,Mahie wears a bikini which Bindu with her multi-layered persona(and we aren’t talked about her soul) couldn’t dream of.
7. In the new Zanjeer the character of an investigative journalist, played by Atul Kulkarni in the remake, was never part of the original.Kulkarni’s journalist character is said to be based on the slain journalist J Dey. Lakhia claims they wrote the script long before the J Dey tragedy.We believe.Specially since Atul is named Jaidev which sounds a lot like J Dey.
8. Sher Khan as played by Pran in the original Zanjeer had only one major fight sequence with the cop-hero.That was because Sher Khan was played the past-his-prime Pran. In the neo-Zanjeer ‘Sher Khan’ Sanjay Dutt gets into several major physical altercations with the cop-hero.Because that’s what Dutt and Ramcharan are expected to do.
9. Jaya Bhaduri had a relatively small role in the original Zanjeer which she did for her boyfriend Bachchan’s sake.Priyanka Chopra has a much more fleshed-out role in the new Zanjeer.
10. The angry cop in Zanjeer never knew he would one day speak in Telugu. Ramcharan Teja turns the original Hindi-speaking cop into a bi-lingual.But Priyanka Chopra doesn’t speak in Telugu. Singer Chinmayi who sang the Titli song for Deepika Padukone in Chennai Express has dubbed in Telugu for PC.